Saturday, November 13, 2010

The wind and it's passing.

I'm fully aware of the knots that the wind can tie with my hair.

But I love the way it beats against my face and rushes past me when I'm in an open vehicle. I love the way it makes Snowy happy, throwing her black wet nose into the air and taking big whiffs of air, internalizing all the smells and scents of the fresh air.

I love that the wind has been to places. It may have travelled across the oceans and continents after brushing past you, or it could have ran through your fingers just this morning. It may even gave brushed through your hair just minutes ago, or held you in its embrace this morning.

The wind brings me closer and nearer to those who seem so far. And yet it will be whatever that will carry us away when our time comes. As it has with Kong Kong, and will with Snowy in what is an unfortunate small number of years to come.

Today, as we alighted from the car and I watched her race down the slope, barking and panting, having plain good fun, I decided to take her for a walk. I took our old route, but this time I watched her fall back down the stairs and I climbed up.

No more can she race up the faster than I. Today, I had to cheer her on on every step. She almost gave up, but I didn't want her to. I saw how age has gotten to her, and I know that one day, she wouldn't be able to climb those stairs as she once could.

And unfortunately but definitely will she lie in the wind's embrace, as it takes her away from mine.

No comments: