Thursday, May 1, 2008

Have I paid my debts?

She asked me how much I owed.

If only everything came in material, if only everything was tangable. If we could repay everything and everyone around us. Look, the sun's burning itself down for our survival every day. What are we doing to repay it? What can we do to repay it for all that it's done?

Yesterday, Geraldine told me that I owe her cash from the day before - $8 in fact. Oh, why can't everything be that way? Why can't we just pay back for everything when the person asks for repayment? Why won't we just ask when we want something back from what we thought of an investment of our own efforts?

I've been thinking and came up with a few answers - perhaps it's because we know that we started out volunteeringly, not expecting anything in return. It'd just be morally incorrect to demand a repayment by the time our contributions to something is done, wouldn't it?

And, so, I wondered - how much do I really owe?

No comments: