Saturday, July 5, 2008

Rain, rain, go away.

They pressed their palms tightly against their ears, screaming.

It rained heavily today, but only just for a short while though. We were stuck, standing and waiting at the school's porch. Each time the bright flashes of lightning were to run through the darkened skies, a few of the girls would shriek and press their palms against their ears, not letting go till they heard the thunder that followed.

It humoured me each time they did so and had to wait for a whole 15 suspenseful seconds before the thunder became audible. A thunder that was very much mild and almost faint. But I never understood why they had to cover their ears anyway. I stood there and stared, laughing occasionally at the amusing spectacle.

I couldn't understand why I wasn't one who would do the same, I couldn't quite bring myself to do so. It felt like a joy, a challenge, awaiting the shock of the thunder clap ringing in my ears. I'd jump, occasionally, but wasn't that the fun of it all? Apparently, I was the only weird one of the people who enjoyed it.

It's just that, sometimes I feel, we spend too much time awaiting for disaster to strike. All that time spent waiting just all goes to waste, you know? So, until the moment really comes, I guess I'm suppose to take it all in. Every second, every minute. Until it all goes bad and rotten, then I'll throw it out, and move on.

Works the same everywhere and in everything, doesn't it?

No comments: